We collect two basic types of information from you in conjunction with your use of the Sites, personal information and non-personal information. Personal information is information that you may supply to us, as described more fully below, i.e., when you subscribe, place an order, complete a survey, register for a Site or any part thereof, enter a contest, upload content, participate in a community, or provide your e-mail address. Personal information is any information that can individually identify you and includes, among other things, your name, e-mail address, telephone number, postal address, credit card, billing and contact information. Non-personal information includes information that does not personally identify you, but it may include tracking and usage information about your location, demographics, use of the Sites and the Internet.
NORMAL WEBSITE USAGE
RFRI has a firm commitment to internet privacy. You can visit most portions of our Sites without telling us who you are and without revealing any personal information.
Collection of Personal Information From or Through Social Media Sites
When you interact with any RFRI property page or account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, we may collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page or account including your account ID or “handle.” However, we will comply with the privacy policies of the corresponding social media platform and we will only collect and store such personal information that we are permitted to collect by these social media platforms. If you choose to link or login to your RFRI account with or through a social networking service, RFRI and that service may share certain information about you and your activities. With your consent, we also may share information about your activities, including what you view on the Sites, with that social network’s users.
Collection and Use of Personally Identifiable Information
RFRI may collect email addresses and other personally identifiable data about you when such data is voluntarily submitted to our Sites. There are a number of circumstances in which you may supply us with your personal information. The following lists the most common ways in which we may collect your personal information.
- Registration for an account
- Sign up to receive e-mails, alerts, or other communications
- Request for customer service or other assistance
- Participation in surveys, panels, or market research
- Participation in activities, events, and promotions
- Purchases, orders, and subscriptions, including subscriptions to RFRI publications and services
- Applying for a job, internship, or volunteer position
- Making a donation, joining, or renewing a membership
- Entering contests or sweepstakes
- Participation on social media accounts involving RFRI, our Sites and our brands
- Participation in communities, chat rooms and comment threads, audio or visual calls or conferences, and other interactive services or activities
- Submission of user generated content
- Any other place on the Sites where you knowingly volunteer personal information
Our Sites may require submission of personally identifiable data for visitors to request information, products, and services, or to join RFRI activities or programs. Such information is used to send orders and information about RFRI to our visitors. Financial information is used to bill visitors in connection with their orders. Some of the activist functions of our site also require registration of personal information. We use this information to make these functions more effective and provide participants with additional information about conservation issues. If you submit personally identifiable information to RFRI some information, such as your name and mailing address, may be exchanged with other organizations. Members may opt out of such membership list exchanges by following the Opt-Out Procedures, below.
Collection and Use of Non-Personally Identifiable Information
We may also collect certain information that does not identify you individually and our servers may automatically keep an activity log of your use of our Sites (“Non-Personal Information”). We may collect and store any of the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
- Non-identifiable demographic data such as age, gender, and five-digit zip code as part of collecting personal information.
- Device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Sites. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, device type, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
- Analytics and usage information about your use of the Sites.
- Additional “traffic data” and log files such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses.
- Other information regarding your use of the Sites.
Collection of Your Source IP Address/Location Information
We may also collect and store location information about you on the Sites and associated with your account that you volunteer on the site or enable through the site. We also collect and store your computer’s source IP address which may disclose the location of your computer at the time you access the Sites.
Is Personal Information Collected From Children?
Unless otherwise disclosed during collection and with parent or guardian consent (for instance, in some of the educational areas on our Sites), RFRI does not knowingly collect personal identifiable information from children under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age you should not provide personally identifiable information to RFRI without providing us with consent from your parents.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use the information we learn from you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience on the Sites. We may use your Personal and Non-Personal Information in the following ways:
- Provide you with the content, products and services you request
- Track your purchases and donation information
- Post your user generated content as you request
- Communicate with you about your account or transactions with us and send you information about features and enhancements
- Communicate with you about changes to our policies
- Communicate with you about your comment to a story or topic
- Personalize content and experiences on our Sites, including providing you recommendations based on your preferences
- Send you newsletters, offers and promotions for our products and services, third party products and services, or special events by e-mail, text, or other another medium
- Provide you with advertising including advertising based on your activity on our Sites or activity on third party sites and applications
- Administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and surveys
- Optimize or improve our products, services and operations
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses, including purchasing patterns
- Send your messages and comments to public officials, corporations, and others through our services providing online action opportunities
- Post your comments through our service providing online actions
Combination of Your Personal Information
We use the information from one portion of the Sites on other portions of Sites in our network of Sites, all of which are owned and operated by or on behalf of RFRI, and we may combine information gathered from multiple sources into a single user record. We also use and/or combine information that we collect off-line or we collect or receive from third party sources to enhance, expand, and check the accuracy of your records.
Disclosure to Third Parties
We occasionally have third parties perform services on our behalf, such as data processing, marketing, analytics, advocacy and outreach, hosting, billing, social media integration, fraud protection, etc. These third parties have access to your personal information only as needed to perform their services for RFRI and are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of the personal information.
We may disclose or share Non-Personal Information (or other information, other than Personal Information) in any other manner that we deem appropriate or necessary. Among other things, we will disclose Non-Personal Information to third parties to help us determine how people use parts of the site and who our users are so we can improve our site. We will also disclose Non-Personal Information to our partners and other third parties about how our users collectively use the site.
Retention of User Information
Following termination or deactivation of your account, RFRI, its affiliates, or its service providers may retain information (including your profile information) and any submitted for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
RFRI uses industry accepted data collection and encryption methodologies in an attempt to ensure the secure collection, transmission, and storage of sensitive user information. While we try our best to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
"Remember me" feature
On some of our forms, we offer an optional "remember me" feature that can recall your information for greater ease on subsequent visits to the site.
YOUR OBLIGATIONS TO KEEP YOUR ACCESS RIGHTS SECURE
You promise to: (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information as prompted by a Site’s registration form, order form or otherwise (such information being the "User Data") and (b) maintain and promptly update the User Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or RFRI has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, RFRI has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Sites (or any portion thereof). You are entirely responsible for the security and confidentiality of your password(s) and account(s). Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account(s).
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I LINK TO OR FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE?
WHAT ABOUT CONTESTS, SWEEPSTAKES, OR GAMES?
PUBLIC AREAS, CHAT ROOMS, REVIEWS, AND COMMUNITY AREAS
Please remember that any information you share in public areas or in submitting public comments, such as information shared on message boards, feedback sections or campaign sites, becomes public and anyone may take and use that information. Please be careful about what you disclose and do not post any Personal Information that you expect to keep private. Please consult the applicable guidelines, if any, for use of our chat rooms and other community areas for more information.
NOTICE TO NON-US USERS
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
YOUR CHOICES REGARDING YOUR INFORMATION
You have choices about your data and how we collect, use or disclose it. We want to send you only the communications to which you have agreed. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- We provide many ways for you to manage your information. For example, you may be given options about how you would like your information to be used, at the time you are providing it. User accounts may also provide options to update your own information. Many kinds of communications will include directions to “unsubscribe” or “remove” you from the mailing list, and text messages can be stopped by responding “STOP.”
- To opt out of all postal, phone, or email from RFRI, or to stop having your name and address shared with other organizations, please contact RFRI in any of these ways:
Mail: P.O. Box 1514
Mandeville, LA 70470-1514
In certain limited cases, we may still need to contact you for legal or administrative purposes, or to follow up on existing orders, contest entries, or membership matters.